Well the NFL season is only a day away and I have participated in my annual drafting for fantasy teams. I decided to just do the one pay league this year and two non-pay leagues. The pay league is the one that I came in 2nd last year, unfortunately by only 2 points in the final matchup of the final week. I am hoping that my luck has turned around and I can win it big this time around.
Starting with the first of the non-pay leagues, I have been playing against this group for the past few years. I came in 6th last year but was 2nd in my first year with them. I had the benefit of Tom Brady that year and have a group of players that were averaging just enough to get me to the final to lose by 1 point. When I started this year’s draft, I thought that I was going to have a tough choice for the first pick but then discovered that I was the first overall pick. From that point on, it was relatively smooth sailing. Here is the team:
- QB: RGIII, Andy Dalton
- RB: Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Stevan Ridley, Frank Gore, Mark Ingram, Ben Tate
- WR: Marques Colston, Torrey Smith, Eric Decker, Steve Smith, Sidney Rice
- TE: Vernon Davis, Fred Davis
- K: Kai Forbath
- DEF: Denver
- D: James Laurinatitis, Lavonte David
I then spent this past Labor Day in two draft, the first of which was the pay league. Last year, I rode to the finals with a team that included Matt Ryan, a good group of wide receivers and an underperforming cluster of running backs. My biggest problem last year was my best rushers getting injured but I still somehow managed to both get to the finals and almost win. I went into this draft and discovered I was the #2 overall pick, but Peterson was not the first one off the board. This left me open for a clear first choice and then I believe I have picked a great team from there on.
- QB: Matthew Stafford, Ben Roethlisberger
- RB: Adrian Peterson, Stevan Ridley, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Vick Ballard
- WR: Brandon Marshall, Randall Cobb, Antonio Brown, Tavon Austin
- TE: Vernon Davis, Jermaine Gresham
- K: David Akers
- DEF: Baltimore
Later that day I drafted my third and final team. Wouldn’t you know it but I enter my third draft in the #3 position in the drafting order. This time around, the group I was drafting with was my family, in order to try to get them into the idea of fantasy sports. We originally were going to make this a small pay league but eliminated the buy-in to remove some of the pressure.
- QB: Drew Brees, Alex Smith
- RB: Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Montee Ball, Knowshon Moreno
- WR: Danny Amendola, Antonio Brown, Hakeem Nicks, Wes Welker, Stevie Johnson
- TE: Tony Gonzalez, Brandon Myers, Scott Chandler
- K: Alex Henery
- DEF: Seattle
I think this is going to be a good year, but the one that matters it the one that required the buy-in. Here’s hoping.